The school employs a Physical Development Instructor to provide a wide range of sporting activities for all ages across the school.
We believe that physical development, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is vital and unique in its contribution to our students' physical and emotional development and health.
The physical development curriculum aims to increase students self confidence through an ability to manage themselves successfully in a variety of situations. Outdoor education is an integral part of physical development across the Key Stages.
- To develop an ability to plan a range of movement sequences, organise equipment and apparatus, and begin to design and apply simple rules.
- To develop an ability to remember, adapt and apply knowledge, practical skills and concepts in a variety of movement based activities.
- To promote positive attitudes towards health, hygiene and fitness.
- To develop psyco-motor skills through a range of relevant movement based activities.
- To develop a sense of fair play and sportsmanship.
- To develop communication skills, encouraging the use of correct terminology, to promote effective co-operation.
- To foster enjoyment, and positive attitude to the subject in school.
- To enable students where possible to work towards independence and to communicate positively towards others.
- To give our students the opportunity to try new activities, develop new skills and grow in confidence.
To enable physical development to be accessible for all pupils including PMLD students many activities and sports are adapted, a program is in place across the school and the school pool is in constant use for hydrotherapy sessions.
The school participates in sporting competitions such as rounders and athletics against other special schools and charity challenges.
We are also extremely lucky to have an outside bike track and a wide range of bikes accessible to all our pupils, which is used by students at playtimes and during certain lessons.
The benefits of cycling are:
- Crucial for physical and mental health
- Healthy Body
- Fun way to exercise
- Breathing and blood circulation
- The digestive system and quality sleep
- Trunk control and balance
- Cognitive Development
- Visual Perception
- Social acceptance